Magnesium is a skin-loving mineral that activates over 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It is also vital to the immune system, maintains normal nerve and muscle function, and helps to convert the food we eat into energy.
Here’s how Magnesium plays an important role in the health of our skin:
It is a potent anti-inflammatory that calms the skin, reducing acne and blemishes. Magnesium also regulates the effects of cortisol (the ‘stress’ hormone) in the body, helping to keep acne flare-ups at bay during stressful times. For more information on how to keep your skin blemish free, see Seven tips to reduce acne.
- Strengthens the skin barrier—the outermost layer of the skin—helping with hydration and preventing dry skin. It also maintains the skin’s elasticity.
- Has healing properties and helps to alleviate conditions such as rosacea, and can soothe skin allergies.
- Magnesium is also crucial to glutathione (GSH) production. GSH is an antioxidant that can negate the cell damage caused by free radicals and heavy metals. This can help to prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
- Helps to protect the skin from external damage, and because it regulates cellular regeneration and repair, magnesium helps with recovery when our skin is harmed.
- It can improve the quality of our (beauty) sleep. Magnesium helps to maintain healthy levels of GABA, a neurotransmitter that promotes sleep. Read more sleep tips here.
Modern farming practices have resulted in our soil being less nutrient rich than it used to be, so the foods that we eat contain less vitamins and minerals, including magnesium. Plus our fast-paced lifestyles and the pollution in our environment can zap magnesium levels. Taking one serving of Encorē for him or Encorē for her every day contains enough magnesium to help keep your skin healthy and glowing.